Finding the perfect products for your hair can be a hassle for everyone. Some products suit all kinds of hair, while others are made for a specific type or style. The need for the perfect product is impeccable when it comes to braids. So what can you use on your braids? Is olive oil good for your braids?
Olive oil is a light oil full of essential fatty acids. Using olive oil on your braids can take care of the nutritional needs of your scalp and hair. Also, since it’s a light oil, it won’t weigh down your hair too much, reducing strain.
If you’re still trying to decide whether to use olive oil on your hair or want to learn how to use it properly, stick with us. We’ll tell you all you need to know about this fantastic natural product.
What Oil Should I Put in My Braids
When it comes to hair oils, choose a lightweight formula that will make your hair look shiny and hold your braids for extended periods. Pick an oil that will soothe your scalp and mitigate burning or inflammation.
Ensure that the oil you use is no-drip and does not weigh down your hair and braids or make it look oily.
Look for ingredients such as sweet almond oil, shea butter, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, plant-based oil extracts, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, or wheat germ oil. These oils help style your hair without damage, improve hair health and growth, and soothe the scalp.
Olive oil on natural hair (Type 4a/4b, thick and high porosity) can be highly beneficial.
Olive oil is an alternative treatment for your hair. Being highly rich in essential fatty acids, it moisturizes hair and scalp and makes it easy to maintain hair. It also has emollient properties as it has oleic acid, which enters the pores of the hair, locking moisture and the scalp nourished.
Everyone can use olive oil for their hair and scalp, regardless of hair type and texture.
Olive oil is a miracle product for hair, as it has ingredients that improve hair structure, stop hair from splitting, and increase hair growth.
What Does Olive Oil Do for Your Hair and Scalp
Put some olive oil and water in a spray bottle and shake it before applying it to your scalp. Olive oil helps hydrate the scalp and hair, improves hair elasticity, and the added water prevents hair from becoming too greasy.
Olive oil adds brightness and shines to your hair, especially for those with dry, fragile, or curly hair. It works wonders when it comes to fighting frizz. Olive oil also smoothens dry, frizzy hair and can be used to treat dandruff and dry scalp.
Massaging your scalp with olive oil will not only improve blood circulation, but it’ll also nourish your hair follicles.
Olive oil helps make hair softer, prevent hair from curling, and prevents breakage. Adding olive oil to your hair care regime can help lock moisture in your hair fibers which helps make hair resilient. A little olive oil works as a daily live-in conditioner.
Olive oil also helps prevent hair fall and helps reduce Dihydrotestosterone. It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that keep your scalp clean and helps treat certain conditions of the scalp.
Despite its many benefits, olive oil can make thin hair too heavy; as such, people with thin hair should avoid using too much of it. Olive oil can also be used in anti-lice treatments.
How to Use Olive Oil for Braids
- Olive oil can be hard to wash off, so hairstylist Fabio Scalia suggests using it as a moisturizing treatment before shampooing.
- Mix 3/4th water, 1/8th extra virgin olive oil, 1/8th conditioner, and a few drops of tea tree oil and spray it on your braids.
- Apply olive oil on the dry areas of your scalp.
- Put on a shower cap after oiling your hair, and let it sit on your hair for 15 minutes.
- Wash off the using warm water.
- Shampoo your hair. Repeat if you notice that there’s still some oil on your hair.
Does Olive Oil Make Hair Grow Faster
Many people think that olive oil can stimulate hair growth. But according to Dr. Karhade, this is just a myth. There isn’t enough scientific evidence to prove that olive oil helps hair grow faster or become more concentrated.
Which Is Better Olive Oil or Coconut Oil for Braids
- Knowing what oil to use is essential for hair care. Among all the oils available, light oils like olive oil and coconut oil work the best.
- Olive oil and coconut oil are good for maintaining braids, but which is better depends on your hair needs.
- Coconut oil helps make hair thicker, curlier, and more fulfilling while moisturizing and strengthening hair.
- Olive oil can benefit you if you have dry hair because of a dry atmosphere or season.
- Olive oil is preferred by people who like to moisturize and condition their hair routinely and prefer washing it off after a while.
- There are different variations of olive oil, which can be confusing when deciding which oil to use. We suggest adding extra virgin olive oil as it has vitamin E and other anti-oxidants essential for your hair.
- You can use olive oil for cooking as a hair oil unless labeled as refined or pomace. Extra virgin olive oil ensures healthiness as it is made without heat or chemical treatment.
- Apply olive oil or coconut oil on your hair if it gets dry or if you need to clean it.
How Often Should I Oil My Braids
Usually, hair needs to be oiled twice a week. How much olive oil to use depends on what problems your hair is facing.
How Long Can I Leave Olive Oil in My Hair
The amount of oil you should put on your hair depends on how oily you prefer your hair to be. As some olive oil is absorbed by the hair follicles, you can wash your hair, and some will remain.
You can apply olive oil to your hair and live it for 15 minutes before shampooing and conditioning it.
What Happens if you Put Too Much Olive Oil in Your Hair
Using too much olive oil isn’t suggested as it directly feeds the yeast, which can increase dandruff on your scalp.
Olive oil can be too heavy for less dense, finer-textured hair, so be careful with overusing it.
What Are the Disadvantages of Olive Oil
When it comes to using olive oil on your hair and braids, the following disadvantages can be seen:
- Too much olive oil can weigh down your hair.
- Olive oil can make fine or straight hair look greasy.
- It makes the yeast responsible for dandruff grow.
How can I make my hair grow faster with braids?
Braiding does not promote hair growth. Hair growth depends on genetics, diet, and stress level.
Is it ok to leave oil in hair overnight?
As oil can block your hair follicles, it is better to wash it off after 3-4 hours of applying.
Should you put oil in your hair before getting braids?
Oiling your hair before getting braids is suggested as it helps lock moisture in your hair and scalp, preventing them from drying.
Is tea tree oil good for box braids?
Tea tree oil has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties and helps moisturize and hydrate your braids.
So, is olive oil good for your braids? The answer is that it depends on how you use it. Olive oil can be a great addition to your hair care regime if used with care and caution.
Not only does it make hair healthier with its multiple beneficial properties, but it also makes hair look better.
We hope reading this will answer all your questions and help you take better care of your hair.