Boho braids on natural hair are a stylish and trendy choice for those with curly or textured hair. These braids provide a bohemian and relaxed look while also protecting the hair from damage.
Whether you’re going for a half-up half-down style or a full head of braids, Boho braids on natural hair can be customized to suit your personal style. This versatile hairstyle can be worn for casual everyday looks or dressed up for special occasions, making it a popular choice for many.
With the right techniques and products, you can achieve beautiful and long-lasting Boho braids on your natural hair.
What Are Boho Braids
Boho braids, short for bohemian braids, are a trendy and versatile hairstyle that combines elements of free-spirited, bohemian style with intricate braiding techniques. These braids are known for their unique and creative appearance, making them a popular choice among those who want to express their individuality through their hair.
Here are some key features and characteristics of boho braids:
- Intricate Braiding: Boho braids often feature complex and detailed braiding patterns. They can include various types of braids, such as fishtail braids, Dutch braids, or traditional three-strand braids. These intricate patterns create a visually appealing and textured look.
- Loose and Relaxed: Boho braids typically have a loose and relaxed appearance. Unlike tight and sleek braids, boho braids are intentionally undone, giving them a carefree and bohemian vibe. This relaxed style is perfect for those who want a more effortless look.
- Emphasis on Texture: Texture is a key element of boho braids. Natural hair texture is often emphasized and celebrated in this style. The braids can incorporate curls, waves, or kinks, adding to the overall bohemian aesthetic.
- Accessorizing: Accessories play a significant role in boho braids. Beads, feathers, ribbons, and other decorative elements can be woven into the braids or attached at the ends to enhance the bohemian look. These accessories add a touch of personality and whimsy to the hairstyle.
- Versatile Styling: Boho braids offer versatility when it comes to styling. You can wear them in various ways, including as a crown, in a half-up, half-down style, as a messy bun, or even in combination with other braiding techniques. This versatility allows you to switch up your look for different occasions.
- Cultural Influences: Boho braids draw inspiration from various cultures and traditions, including African, Native American, and European styles. They incorporate elements from these cultures to create a unique and multicultural hairstyle.
- Individual Expression: Boho braids are a form of self-expression. They allow individuals to showcase their creativity and personality through their hairstyle. Whether you prefer a simple and subtle boho look or a bold and colorful one, boho braids can be customized to suit your style.
Types of Boho Braids
Indeed, fishtail, Dutch, and French braids are excellent choices for achieving boho-inspired braided hairstyles on natural hair. Each of these braiding techniques offers a unique and stylish look that complements the bohemian aesthetic. Here’s a closer look at each of these braiding styles:
1. Fishtail Braid
The fishtail braid is known for its intricate and visually striking appearance.
It involves dividing the hair into two sections and crossing small strands from one section over to the other alternately.
The result is a braid that resembles the texture of a fishtail or mermaid scales, hence the name.
Fishtail braids work well for both casual and more formal boho-inspired hairstyles. You can make them as loose or as tight as you like, depending on your preference.
2. Dutch Braid (Inside-Out Braid)
Dutch braids are distinctive because they are created using an “inside-out” technique, where the sections are crossed underneath instead of over the top.
This technique makes the braid appear raised from the scalp, adding dimension and texture to the hairstyle.
Dutch boho braids are perfect for achieving a textured and carefree look, making them an excellent choice for a bohemian style.
The French braid is a classic and timeless choice for boho-inspired hairstyles.
It involves creating a three-strand braid, starting at the crown of the head and gradually incorporating additional hair as you braid down.
French boho braids can be customized to suit your desired look. You can create a single French braid, multiple braids, or even incorporate them into updos and other styles.
This braid style adds a touch of sophistication and elegance to your natural hair, making it suitable for various occasions.
How To Achieve Boho Braids On Natural Hair
Creating boho braids on natural hair can be a fun and creative process. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you achieve beautiful boho braids:
- Wide-tooth comb or detangling brush
- Moisturizing hair gel or cream
- Bobby pins or hair elastics
- Beads, ribbons, or other accessories (optional)
Step 1: Prepare Your Hair
Start by washing your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioning it to ensure it’s clean and moisturized. Properly moisturized hair will make the braiding process smoother.
Step 2: Section Your Hair
Use a wide-tooth comb or detangling brush to divide your hair into sections. The number of sections will depend on your desired braid style and overall look. You can create larger sections for chunky braids or smaller sections for more intricate braids.
Step 3: Apply Moisturizing Product
Apply a moisturizing hair gel or cream to each section of your hair. This will help with the braiding process by reducing frizz and providing extra hold. Make sure to distribute the product evenly.
Step 4: Start Braiding
Begin braiding each section of your hair, starting from the roots and working your way down. You can use the fishtail, Dutch, or French braid techniques mentioned earlier, depending on your preference.
As you braid, keep the tension even and make sure each strand is securely incorporated into the braid.
Step 5: Secure the Ends
Once you’ve braided to your desired length, secure the ends with a bobby pin or hair elastic. Make sure the ends are well-secured to prevent unraveling.
Step 6: Add Accessories (Optional)
If you want to enhance the boho vibe of your braids, you can incorporate accessories such as beads, ribbons, or even feathers. Thread these accessories onto your braids for an added touch of style.
Step 7: Style and Customize
After you’ve completed all the braids, you can style and customize your look further. Experiment with different parting patterns, bun styles, or updos to create a unique boho-inspired hairstyle that suits your taste.
Step 8: Maintain and Refresh
To maintain your boho braids, you can use a lightweight oil or leave-in conditioner to keep your hair moisturized. Protect your braids at night with a satin or silk bonnet or pillowcase to prevent frizz and maintain their shape.
Boho Braid Styling Ideas For Different Occasions
Boho braids indeed offer a wide range of styling options that can suit various occasions and moods. Here are some specific ideas for different occasions:
1. Casual Everyday Look
- Loose Fishtail Braid: Create a relaxed and slightly messy fishtail braid for an effortless and bohemian-inspired everyday look. Pull apart the braid slightly to enhance its boho vibe.
- Half-Up Half-Down Boho Style: Gather the top half of your hair into a loose half-up ponytail and secure it with a decorative hair tie. Leave the rest of your hair down for a laid-back appearance with a touch of boho charm.
2. Weddings and Formal Events
- Sleek Braided Updo: For a more polished and elegant look, consider a braided updo. You can create a low bun or chignon with braided accents, which adds sophistication to your hairstyle.
- Boho Crown Braid: A crown braid, also known as a halo braid, is perfect for weddings and formal occasions. Decorate it with delicate flowers or hairpins to enhance the romantic and bohemian feel.
3. Festive Occasions and Boho-Inspired Events
- Braided Headband: A braided headband across your forehead is a signature boho look. Combine it with loose waves for a chic and carefree appearance.
- Side-Swept Boho Braid: Sweep your hair to one side and create a loose and textured side braid. This style exudes a relaxed and bohemian charm.
- Braided Topknot: Elevate your boho-inspired look with a braided topknot. Braid a section of your hair, twist it into a bun on top of your head, and secure it with pins. Add some loose strands for a playful touch.
Celebrity Boho Braid Inspiration
Celebrities have embraced boho braids, showcasing them on various occasions:
Red carpet events: Celebrities sport boho braids for glamorous appearances, adding a touch of elegance to their look.
Casual outings: Even on their days off, celebrities effortlessly rock boho braids, making them a chic choice for everyday style.
Influencer-Approved Boho Braid Looks
Instagram influencers are setting trends and inspiring others with their unique boho braid styles:
Influencers showcase their creativity: They experiment with different braiding techniques, textures, and accessories to personalize their boho braids.
Inspiring others: Influencers encourage people to embrace their natural hair and try boho braids, promoting confidence and individuality.
Recreating Boho Braid Styles
Regardless of your hair type or length, you can recreate your favorite boho braid looks:
Customize to suit your hair: Tailor boho braid styles to your natural hair texture and length, making them accessible for everyone.
Experiment with various braiding techniques: Try Dutch braids, fishtail braids, or messy boho braids to achieve different boho-inspired looks.
For bohemian braids, you can use synthetic braiding hair like Kanekalon or X-pression hair. Opt for various colors, textures, and lengths to achieve the desired bohemian, free-spirited look.
The requirements for bohemian or boho braids include quality synthetic braiding hair, styling gel or edge control for neatness, and patience for the creation of freeform and relaxed braids.
Bohemian braids can be kept in for several weeks to a few months, depending on your natural hair growth and how well you maintain them.
Goddess knotless braids are often larger, intricate, and can resemble crown-like patterns, while bohemian knotless braids are typically smaller, irregularly sized, and offer a more carefree, relaxed style.
Bohemian braids have a relaxed, free-spirited appearance. They often consist of smaller, more irregularly sized braids and a more undone style compared to traditional box braids.
Bohemian hair often features loose, carefree waves or curls, sometimes adorned with accessories like headbands, scarves, or beads for a natural, free-spirited look.
Bohemian braids on natural hair can last for several weeks to a few months, depending on your maintenance routine and the growth of your natural hair.
You can get bohemian box braids wet, but it’s important to dry them thoroughly to prevent odor or mildew. It’s advisable to tie them up or protect them with a shower cap while bathing.
To maintain bohemian braids, regularly moisturize your scalp and braids, tie them up at night, avoid excessive manipulation, and refresh your edges with edge control to maintain a neat appearance.
You can use human hair for bohemian braids, but high-quality synthetic braiding hair is commonly used as it offers various color options and textures suitable for the desired bohemian look.
The cost for bohemian braids can vary widely based on location, stylist’s expertise, braid size, length, and intricacy of the style. On average, the price can range from $150 to $400 or more.
Bohemian braids are considered a good protective style, as they can reduce the need for daily styling and manipulation, aiding in preserving the health of your natural hair.
To fix frizzy bohemian braids, smooth the frizzy sections with a small amount of styling gel or oil to tame the frizz and maintain a neater appearance.
Braids that last long on natural hair are often those that are not too tight, such as knotless braids or box braids, and are properly maintained to prevent breakage or damage.
Bohemian braids can be done with human hair, but high-quality synthetic braiding hair is commonly used due to its versatility, various color options, and ease of use.
Goddess box braids are typically larger, more intricate, and can resemble crown-like patterns, offering a regal and majestic appearance.
Dutch braids, also known as inverted or inside-out French braids, look like raised braids that stand out against the scalp, giving a stylish and bold appearance.
Banana braids are long, chunky, and large braids that can be styled in various patterns or designs, resembling the shape and appearance of a banana.
Dutch braids are also known as inverted or inside-out French braids due to their weaving technique that results in the braid standing out from the scalp.
Finger braids, also known as finger waves, are a hairstyle where the hair is set in waves or curls close to the scalp, often created using just the fingers or a comb.
A gypsy twist involves sectioning the hair into two parts, twisting them together to form a rope-like structure, and securing it at the end with a hair tie or pin for an intricate and chic look.
Braids have cultural significance for many Native American tribes. They represent identity, heritage, and spiritual beliefs, with different braid styles symbolizing various cultural values and traditions.
Gypsy braids, when well-maintained, can last several weeks to a few months, similar to other braiding styles, depending on care routines and the growth of your natural hair.
Trail braids are often associated with historical figures or characters and are typically a mix of French and Dutch braids, giving a woven or twisted appearance resembling a trail or path.
The gypsy haircut is characterized by layered, feathered, or shaggy hair often combined with a fringe or bangs, creating a free-spirited, bohemian look, and it’s known for its relaxed, natural appearance.
Incorporating boho braids into your natural hair routine not only adds a touch of chic style, but also promotes hair protection and growth. By embracing this versatile hairstyle, you can experiment with different colors, accessories, and variations to showcase your unique personality.
So go ahead, unleash your creativity and embrace the boho braid trend – your hair will thank you!