No other hairstyle is as gorgeous as goddess braids. As bold as the style is, how long do goddess braids last? Because holding on to a style for longer than suggested can have further complications.
Considering you do them on your natural hair, the average length of time goddess braids can last is about five to six months. If you are wearing similarly styled braided hair extensions, then it will last for four to six weeks.
Proper maintenance of the braids may help them last longer. You need to clean them gently but at an optimum frequency. Keeping your scalp moisturized and cleaned will definitely increase the lasting period.
How long can you keep goddess braids in length?
|Bohemian Goddess Braids||10 – 12 inches|
|Knotless Goddess Braids||12 inches|
|Jumbo Knotless Goddess Braids||12 inches|
|Goddess Braids (General)||5 – 6 inches|
Which goddess braids last the longest?
Bohemian Goddess Braids
Although Bohemian Goddess Braids can last for as long as eight to ten months, it is not wise to wait for that long. The right time frame is four to six weeks. Hanging on to it for longer than six weeks may cause matting or severe hair damage.
You should uninstall the braids in a few weeks with even more urgency if you had done them on your own hair. Your hair is the last thing you want to push to its limit. Hair is sensitive and you need to cater to it.
Knotless Goddess Braids
This particular style of Knotless Goddess Braids can last for two to three months. It is a lighter hairstyle compared to other types of braids. It is easier to maintain, the reason being stated in its name, it’s knotless.
Goddess Box Braids
Box Braided extensions or the same style done on your natural hair will last for four weeks. Going above that voluntarily is not advisable. It is a more aggressive braiding style that can dry up your scalp and create a suitable environment for hair breakage if extended.
Jumbo Goddess Braids
Jumbo Goddess Braids require very long hair and intensive styling to be created, which makes it one of the heaviest braiding styles. Therefore, it should be kept for no more than two weeks.
Overrunning this can cause the buildup of products and dirt on your scalp. Your scalp will itch and hurt. The roots of your hair strands will become weak and end up in serious hair loss.
Knotless Box Braids
Knotless Box Braids can last for a month or so. Sustaining the style for longer than that is difficult as it will start matting. Matted hair is totally different thing to deal with. So it is better to have the style for one month only.
Goddess Braids with Curls
Goddess Braids with Curls last longer than average. Since curls are suitable with braided hairstyles, it does not show repercussions before eight weeks. Given that you have taken proper care of the braids, it can go up to ten weeks easily.
How can I make my goddess braids last longer?
- Wear a Satin Scarf: Wear a satin scarf over your head when you are at home. Doing so will prevent dirt and air moisture to settle on your scalp and mat the braids.
- Oil Your Scalp and Roots: Oil your scalp, and the root of each braid. Loss of moisture is the main reason for braids wearing out. Oiling the scalp addresses this problem.
- Rinse Braids Gently: Rinse the braids gently. Do not be harsh, otherwise, they could unravel. Rinsing softly once a week will block any dirt build-up.
- Avoid Chemical-based Products: Avoid chemical-based styling or hair care products. They can strip off all the natural oils from your hair shaft and scalp shortening their durability.
- Wash Extensions with Apple Cider Vinegar: With regards to braided extensions, wash them with aqueous apple cider vinegar. Your extensions will feel new again.
- Brush Braids Carefully: Brush your braids, but be careful, do not ruin them. Just ensure braids do not get tangled up.
- Practice Proper Maintenance: Proper maintenance is the key for braids to last for longer periods of time. Ensuring good health of the scalp and hair will stop the braids from showing repercussions.
Tips for keeping them looking great
A. How to keep goddess braids from tangling?
I. Apply good hair cream or serum before going out, or every time out of the shower. They will look glossy and bouncy, as well as prevent friction.
II. Use a rat-tail comb to loosen the braids sometimes. Reduced pressure will rule out any chance of tangling.
III. Brush or run your finger through your braids. Should you feel any block or pain, get rid of that right away. Ignoring that would, later on, form bigger tangles.
IV. Stay in touch with a stylist throughout your braiding journey. They can easily tell if your braids are approaching a bad stage or not.
B. How to keep braids from frizzing?
I. To avoid frizzing of braids, holding on to hair nutrients is the sole focus. For that, you need to have the right hair care products.
II. Wash your braids with a herbal or mild shampoo. Check for the ones that have less sulfate in them, they are ideal for any hair type.
III. Apply conditioner after every wash. Only shampoo can act as a drying agent, conditioner application will retain the moisture.
IV. Put warm oil on your scalp. Any pain will be soothed, and also the natural oils of the scalp will be preserved.
V. Select tea-tree oil, argan oil, or jojoba oil for yourself. They are rich in nutrients and can do magic to your braids.
Why should you try goddess braids?
- Taking care of goddess braids is easier compared to other hairstyles like weaves. They can be maintained without much hassle.
- One of the lighter versions of braided hairstyles. They do not put as much pressure as other types of braids.
- Easy to install, easy to remove. Provides you the flexibility to change or resort back if your hair does not suit it.
- Looks gorgeous. This is a factor that fades away all the problems it may have. You will look like a totally different person.
How do you restore goddess braids?
Considering you have installed hair extensions, then washing it in a bowl spoonful of apple cider vinegar and water will restore it to some extent. It will wash away all the dirt and matting.
But, taking the style on your natural hair calls for a longer process. You need to uninstall the braids and undergo a hair rejuvenation journey. Wash your hair with a good shampoo and conditioner, and apply oil after that to add healthy nutrients and moisture to your strands.
This will prepare your hair for braids again, and you will be good to go.
Are goddess braids hard to maintain?
Absolutely not. They are in fact, easier to maintain. You can brush them, comb them, wash them, apply oil or cream over them, anything you feel like. Just do not be hard on anything. Otherwise, they may get ruined.
Wash your goddess braids once a week. If you feel that this is too much, do it once every two weeks.
Yes, it can if your hair is weak, or it was not prepared the right way before installing the braids.
Usually, four to five packs of soft locs are needed for a full head.
It can take from half an hour to two hours to be installed. Might take longer or less than that depending on your hair type and proficiency.
The lifespan of a mermaid loc is dependent upon how long you leave it in the water. If you leave your locs in the water for a few minutes, then they will last for about two weeks before they start to deteriorate. If you leave them in the water for longer than that, then they will last between four and two months.
Goddess braids are one of the most flexible braided hairstyles. It is also one of the easiest to install and maintain. Doing it the right way will set you up with a great look. Consult a specialist if you feel like it.
And goddess braids allow you to alter your look in various ways. So, enjoy your braids as much as you can.