Weaves are a dazzling hairstyle. They make you look bold and create an impression that feels genuinely “on your face”. However, the style disappointingly has a lot of implications as well. So, do weaves cause hair loss?
Weaving natural hair will increase the pressure on your roots and undergo severe hair loss. Even if you choose to wear weaved hair extensions, doing so without proper maintenance will take away the protective nature and damage your hair follicles contributing to further hair loss.
Another undermined factor is wearing the wigs for prolonged periods of time. The tape of the wigs can harshly damage the scalp weakening the strength of your hair, and leading to breakage.
The key to avoiding this is to prepare your hair before styling. Moisturize your hair, use natural shampoo to clean the scalp, apply argan oil and make your hair stronger. Once you get on with the style, regularly apply hair cream or tea tree oil to retain that moisture. Wash your weaves at least once in two weeks.
Why do weaves cause hair loss?
Hair loss due to weaves is something everyone faces, as they do not have the right information. Both, weaved hair extensions, or the ones on your own hair, add a lot of weight to your scalp. The hair undergoes immense pull, resulting in breakage and hair loss.
- Too much stretch by the weaves leads to pulling out of hair from its roots. Excessive pull on hair has as complicated consequences as traction alopecia.
- Too much styling strips the natural moisture of the scalp. A dry scalp caters to the continuous fall of hair.
- Weave hair extensions with tapes cause the skin on the head to be damaged and weaken the roots of hair around it.
How do prevent hair loss from weaves?
- Establish a Regular Moisturizing Routine: A regular moisturizing routine before and after getting the weaves done is necessary. Having one will make the roots strong, and prevent hair fall.
- Wash Weaves at Least Once Every Two Weeks: Wash your weaves at least once in two weeks. Anything more or less than that may ruin the balance of your cleansing routine.
- Use Mild or Herbal Shampoo for Washing: Use mild or herbal shampoo to wash your hair. Look for a shampoo that has less sulfate in it.
Do weaves cause baldness?
Yes, they do, but this is an extreme situation. It can only happen if you fail to take the right steps and contain the damage your hair is sustaining from the weaves. Allowing hair loss to go on will definitely lead to baldness.
Can weaves be used to prevent hair loss?
Sew in weaves or weave hair extensions can help in this matter. Installing these will not put pressure directly on your natural hair. They will also protect your hair from external vulnerabilities like settling dirt on the scalp.
So, the concept is real. Weave hair extensions can protect your natural hair. However, doing the weaves on your own hair can also work, given that you do it on healthy and strong hair.
What is the weave hair loss treatment?
The best thing to do is speak with an expert about your specific situation. There are a variety of potential causes of hair loss, and the weave hair loss treatment will vary depending on the root cause.
However, some general tips include staying away from tight hairstyles, using quality hair products specifically designed for weaves or extensions, and avoiding excessive heat styling.
We have some general tips on how to minimize any potential risks
- Mix three cups of water with one spoon of apple cider vinegar. Immerse your weaves in them for thirty minutes, and rinse thoroughly.
- Use a deep conditioner on your weaves. Use it only if you have used extensions. Too much of it on natural hair can lead to product build-up.
- Wash your hair with a natural shampoo . The frequency should be once in two weeks.
Why you shouldn’t worry about weaving perfection?
See, trying to perfectly weave your hair will only lead to suffering. You will try different techniques, and apply different styling products to achieve the best look. But the thing is, no-look will satisfy you a hundred percent. All that will happen is serious damage to your hair.
You should never leave in hair extensions forever and ever and change them without giving the hair a break. Additionally, it is important to use good-quality hair extensions from a reputable source.
Will weaves help grow longer hair?
If you use a wig, then yes, it can help your hair grow. Since it protects the actual hair underneath its layers, the natural strands do not go through styling or external pressure. This creates an ideal environment for them to grow.
Yes, they do if not properly maintained or taken care of. Make sure they are not too heavy on your scalp to prevent this.
The continuous pull your hair undergoes due to the weaves eventually leads to total breakage or loss. The immense stretch causes your hair to hurt. It can contribute to neck pain or headache as well.
Yes, definitely. If possible, get both the installation and removal done by a stylist. Doing it yourself can be problematic.
Yes, it will. But the situation has to be perfect for it. In most cases, it will be the reverse, and your hair will face hindrances in growth due to damage and improper maintenance.
Weaves cause the scalp to dry up. At a certain stage after drying, your scalp will start to itch. Regularly moisturize your hair to avoid that.
Yes. Weaves are known for this attribute. They make your hair look more voluminous, healthy, and bouncy.
Get in touch with a dermatologist, or professional stylist before you get into weaves. They are an expert, and they will suggest to you the right steps to prepare your hair, as well as how to maintain them.
There are a lot of problems associated with hairstyle. But that does not mean you should not do it. Just be careful about the process. You will look great if you pull off a great weave hairstyle.